Welcome to the Genealogy Forum Beginners' Center!
Genealogy Forum Quick Start
GENEALOGY QUICK START GUIDE
1. SEARCH THE FORUM - The fastest way to begin finding your roots on America Online is to click the green underlined text for the Genealogy Forum, then click on the words Search the Forum. Then type in the surname you are looking for. This way, you can quickly find out if someone else has already done research on your family name and shared it with the Genealogy Forum on AOL. (If not, we look forward to hearing from you!) :D
2. SURNAME MESSAGE BOARDS - Next, check the Surname Message Boards. Read messages posted by others as well as leave messages about the family names you seek. The Message boards can be found on the main screen of the Genealogy Forum, and you can reach the Surname Message Boards by clicking the hyperlinks shown below:
- Surnames A - K Queries & Info
- Surnames L - Z Queries & Info
- Be sure to leave a posting in the New? Introduce Yourself! message board.
3. FILE LIBRARY CENTER- Others may have uploaded GEDCOM (data) files, census or other indexes which would help with your ancestral quest. To see what they've done, check out the File Libraries Center. It is also found on the main screen of the Genealogy Forum.
4. SPECIAL CENTERS PROVIDE ADDITIONAL RESOURCES You'll want to explore the other areas of the Genealogy Forum which have been specially designed to:
Your family tree may not be readily available and you might need to do a little research to uncover your roots. Don't despair! That's why we're here!
- expand your knowledge of how to do research
- indicate where to go to find clues in indexes, original documents, etc.
- assist you in the preservation and organization of genealogy materials
- discuss choosing an appropriate genealogy management program
Our periodicals include:
- Learn how to do original research in the Beginners' Center.
- More experienced family historians will appreciate the vast Resource Center.
- Surf the best genealogy sites through the Internet Center.
- Visit with trained hosts and make cousin connections in our Chat Center.
With tens of thousands of forum members, the Genealogy Forum on AOL is literally the largest genealogy society in the world. We're pleased that our enthusiastic members contribute to the message boards and files libraries daily.
The bottom line is, you are bound to find something new every day in the Genealogy Forum!
NOTE: Be sure to ADD TO FAVORITE PLACES any article or part of the forum which interests you, so you can find it again easily when you return. To do this, click the HEART-shaped icon in the upper left portion of that window, and follow the prompt to add. To LOCATE the place next time you sign on, merely click on the FAVORITE PLACES FOLDER on your AOL button bar, and scroll through the list to select the desired option.
Return to Beginners' Center - Main Page
The Genealogy Forum - Main Page
Beginners' Center | Chat Rooms | File Libraries
Internet Center | Message Boards
Resource Center | Reunion Center
Genealogy Forum News
Shop With Us
AOL Member Exclusive:
Go Directly to The Genealogy Forum on AOL!
© 1999 - 2002 Some Graphics By Carol, All Rights Reserved.
Genealogy Forum.com is a production of Golden Gate Services, Inc. of Franklin, Massachusetts.
© 1998 - 2002 All Rights Reserved. George Ferguson, President.
The Genealogy Forum is a member of the Federation of Genealogical Societies and the National Genealogical Society.
Tree logo provided by MeadPond Designs and is the trademark of GenealogyForum.com.
If you have any questions or comments,
please contact GenealogyForum@aol.com